The church tower was built in 1688 under the guidance of construction master Martin Knoch, and in 1862 the tower was rebuilt according to the project by Emil Strauss, raising it to the height of 80.5.
World War II proved fateful for the St. Trinity Church, as the town of Jelgava was destroyed at that time. Major damage was done also to Jelgava St. Trinity Church. In 1954, a part of the church altar was blown up, the walls of the building were removed, leaving the bell tower which became a military object.
In 2004, the tower was covered with a glass roof, and its height reached 50.17 metres, preserving the shape of the tower as designed by architect Knoch.
By attracting the financial resources of the European Union, the church tower was reborn on 16 November 2010 after the silence of 60 years; and currently it brings joy to the residents and visitors of the town as a place providing discovery of much new things, as well as excellent recreation.